Re: patch: Add JSON datatype to PostgreSQL (GSoC, WIP)

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: patch: Add JSON datatype to PostgreSQL (GSoC, WIP)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 11/21/2010 12:31 AM, Terry Laurenzo wrote:

I copied the 5 sample documents from json.org's example section for these tests.  These are loaded into a table with a varchar column 1000 times each (so the test table has 5000 rows in it).  In all situations, the binary encoding was smaller than the normalized text form (between 9 and 23% smaller).  I think there are cases where the binary form will be larger than the corresponding text form, but I don't think they would be very common.

Is that a pre-toast or post-toast comparison?

Even if it's post-toast, that doesn't seem like enough of a saving to convince me that simply storing as text, just as we do for XML, isn't a sensible way to go, especially when the cost of reproducing the text for delivery to clients  (including, say, pg_dump) is likely to be quite high.

cheers

andrew