Re: Defaulting wal_sync_method to fdatasync on Linux for 9.1?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Defaulting wal_sync_method to fdatasync on Linux for 9.1?
Дата
Re: Defaulting wal_sync_method to fdatasync on Linux for 9.1?  (Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> I will grant you that the details were wrong, but I stand by the conclusion.
> I can state for a fact that PostgreSQL's default wal_sync_method
> varies depending on the <fcntl.h> header.

Yes; it's supposed to, and that logic works fine on some other
platforms.  The question is exactly what the new Linux O_DSYNC behavior
is doing, in regards to whether it flushes drive caches out or not.
Until you've quantified which of the cases do that--which is required
for reliable operation of PostgreSQL--and which don't, you don't have
any data that can be used to draw a conclusion from.  If some setups are
faster because they write less reliably, that doesn't automatically make
them the better choice.

PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support        www.2ndQuadrant.us