Re: PITR on different machine/architecture?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: PITR on different machine/architecture?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/06/2010 02:48 AM, Vick Khera wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Andreas Brandl<mail@andreas-brandl.de>  wrote:
>> we are implementing archiving/PITR for a postgresql instance operating on OpenBSD/64-bit. Is it possible to restore
thebackup on a completely different machine (i.e. other OS/32-bit)? What about restoring on (slightly) different
versionsof postgresql?

> If you run the same 32-bit binaries on both OpenBSD systems, it *should* work.
>
> Anything different will not because the files will not be binary
> compatible... I wonder if that is true for the minor rev number, like
> 9.0.0 vs. 9.0.1.  That I cannot answer.

It's compatible across minor revisions like 9.0.0 and 9.0.1, but not
across major revisions like 8.4 and 9.0. You don't need the exact same
binaries, they just need to be for the same architecture (ie x86, x64,
ppc32, etc). The must have been compiled with the same set of
data-storage affecting build options, like integer timestamps.

See the FAQ for more details.

--
Craig Ringer