Re: [PERFORM] typoed column name, but postgres didn't grump

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [PERFORM] typoed column name, but postgres didn't grump
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Oct 29, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yeah, I think we're going to have to live with it, at least for 8.4.  On=
e could make an argument that 9.0 is new enough we could get away with a sm=
all behavior change to avoid a large amount of user confusion.  But that ma=
y be a self-serving argument based on wanting to tamp down the bug reports =
rather than a wisely considered policy decision...  so I'm not sure I quite=
 buy it.
>=20
> Well, tamping down the bug reports is good from the users' point of view
> too.
>=20
> The argument for not changing it in the back branches is that there
> might be someone depending on the 8.4/9.0 behavior.  However, that seems
> moderately unlikely.  Also, if we wait, that just increases the chances
> that someone will come to depend on it, and then have a problem when
> they migrate to 9.1.  I think the "risk of breakage" argument has a lot
> more force when considering long-standing behaviors than things we just
> recently introduced.

I'm not entirely sure that a behavior we released well over a year ago can =
be considered "just recently introduced"...

...Robert