Re: odd postgresql performance (excessive lseek)

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: odd postgresql performance (excessive lseek)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jon Nelson wrote:
> That's a little harsh (it's not untrue, though).

Welcome to pgsql-performance!  You can get a right answer, or a nice
answer, but given the personalities involved it's hard to get both at
the same time.  With this crowd, you need to be careful stating
something you were speculating about as if you were certain of it, and
to be certain here usually means "I read the source code".  I recommend
writing theories as a question ("would X have sped this up?") rather
than a statement ("X will speed this up") if you want to see gentler
answers.

> Has any work been done on making use of shared memory for file stats
> or using fallocate (or posix_fallocate) to allocate files in larger
> chunks?

Just plain old pre-allocating in larger chunks turns out to work well.
Am hoping to get that into an official patch eventually.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Сообщение: Re: odd postgresql performance (excessive lseek)
Сообщение: Re: odd postgresql performance (excessive lseek)