Re: HashJoin order, hash the large or small table? Postgres likes to hash the big one, why?

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: HashJoin order, hash the large or small table? Postgres likes to hash the big one, why?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:

> If the cost to hash is 1200493, and it needs to probe the hash 20241 times, why would the total cost be 631471410?
Thecost to probe can't be that big! A cost of 500 to probe and join?
> Why favor hashing the large table and probing with the small values rather than the other way around?

May I ask a stupid question: how is the query cost calculated? What are
the units? I/O requests? CPU cycles? Monopoly money?

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA

От: Greg Spiegelberg
Сообщение: Re: how to get the total number of records in report
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Help with duration of statement: EXECUTE [PREPARE: COMMIT]