Re: SQL command to edit postgresql.conf, with comments

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: SQL command to edit postgresql.conf, with comments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> IIRC the proposal was that postgresql.conf (the people-editable file)
> would have "include postgresql.auto" in it.  You could put that at
> the top, bottom, or even middle to control how the priority works.
> So it's user-configurable.  I think the factory default ought to
> be to have it at the top, which would result in manually edited
> settings (if any) overriding SET PERMANENT.

Right, I think that's the behavior which will result in the least newbie
confusion.

So what we'd add to postgresql.conf would look something like this:

# Link to auto-generated configuration file.
# Do not edit the auto-generated file or remove this link;
# instead, edit settings below in this file and they will
# override the auto-generated file.

include 'postgresql.conf.auto'

> the only change I want to make immediately is that initdb ought
> to shove its settings into postgresql.auto instead of mucking with
> postgresql.conf.

That would be good.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com