Re: security hook on table creation

От KaiGai Kohei
Тема Re: security hook on table creation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
It seems to me the conclusion of this discussion is unclear.

We commonly try to find out an approach that minimize code complexity
to understand and maintain, so the point of issue is clear, but we
still don't reach same conclusion, because both of two ideas have merits
and demerits each other.

* Prep/Post-creation hook  merits: simple principle to deploy security hooks. The prep-creation    hook shall be after
existingDAC checks, and the post-creation hook    shall be after modification of system catalogs.  demerits: several
specificsecurity hooks are necessary, in addition    to the main security hook.

* Only post-creation hook  merits: small number of security hook definitions.  demerits: at least, new entries of
systemcatalog must be visible    when we invoke the security hooks, so some cases require us to    add new CCIs on
invocations,but it requires us to verify it is    harmless (whenever we will touch the code around security hooks    in
thefuture).

In my viewpoint, MVCC is one of the most complex things in PG.
So, in fact, I also missed the possibility that the gust of security
hook cannot reference the entry of new database object, when the idea
of post-creation hook was suggested.
If we have a strong (and implicit) restriction about places where
we should deploy the security hooks on, I don't think it enables to
minimize our task to understand and maintain (in the future), although
line of change set is a bit smaller now.

So, I think the idea of two hooks on creation is better.
It tries to put prep-creation hook according to the manner of existing
DAC checks, and post-creation hook is next to modification of system
catalogs with same visibility of the main entries.
It seems to me this simple principle enables to minimize our task to
understand and maintain.

Thanks,

--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>

Сообщение: Re: Issues with two-server Synch Rep
Сообщение: Re: Issues with two-server Synch Rep