Re: Issues with Quorum Commit

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: Issues with Quorum Commit
Дата
Re: Issues with Quorum Commit  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/08/2010 01:44 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
> They'll use Sync Rep to maximize
> the odds a system failure doesn't cause any transaction loss.  They'll
> use good quality hardware on the master so it's unlikely to fail.

.."unlikely to fail"?

Ehm.. is that you speaking, Greg? ;-)

> But
> when the database finds the standby unreachable, and it's left with the
> choice between either degrading into async rep or coming to a complete
> halt, you must give people the option of choosing to degrade instead
> after a timeout.  Let them set off the red flashing lights, sound the
> alarms, and pray the master doesn't go down until you can fix the
> problem.

Okay, okay, fair enough - if there had been red flashing lights. And
alarms. And bells and whistles. But that's what I'm afraid the timeout
is removing.

> I don't see this as needing any implementation any more complicated than
> the usual way such timeouts are handled.  Note how long you've been
> trying to reach the standby.  Default to -1 for forever.  And if you hit
> the timeout, mark the standby as degraded

..and how do you make sure you are not marking your second standby as
degraded just because it's currently lagging? Effectively degrading the
utterly needed one, because your first standby has just bitten the dust?

And how do you prevent the split brain situation in case the master dies
shortly after these events, but fails to come up again immediately?

Your list of data recovery projects will get larger and the projects
more complicated. Because there's a lot more to it than just the
implementation of a timeout.

Regards

Markus Wanner

Сообщение: Re: Issues with Quorum Commit
Сообщение: Re: Issues with Quorum Commit