Re: migration from PointBase to PostgreSQL

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: migration from PointBase to PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 8/10/2010 12:35 AM, Frank Zhao wrote:
> We are supposed to migrate PointBase to PostgreSQL.
>
> Do you have any advice on how we should approach this, and how to do
> estimation on the workload?
>
> The current PointBase is running on Hub and Spoke by using UniSync for
> backup and restore purposes. Is there any similar technology of UniSync
> in PostgreSQL.

As you haven't told anybody what UniSync *is* or provided suitable
links, I'm going to guess it's some kind of replication system. If it
isn't, please provide a description or direct links to useful info so
nobody has to try to hunt around on Google.

If you need replication, you have options including:

- Slony, Bucardo, etc
- Built-in 9.0 master-slave replication

See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

> I am new to both PostgreSQL and PointBase.

Wow, what a fun task to drop on someone new to _both_ platforms. I don't
envy you.

Consider hiring someone with experience in database
migration/conversion. It'll probably save you money and time in the long
run. See: http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support . It's
worth taking note of which of the companies listed there regularly have
people showing up on the mailing lists (using the archives), rather
doing incident support but not participating in the community.

--
Craig Ringer