Re: [HACKERS] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: [HACKERS] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner (Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov) wrote:
>> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> perhaps it would be possible by, say, increasing the number of
>>> lock partitions by 8x.

>> changing this 4 to a 7?:
>>
>> #define LOG2_NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS  4

> I'm pretty sure we were talking about the change described in the
> paper of moving to a system which uses atomic changes instead of
> spinlocks for certain locking situations..

Well, they also mentioned increasing the number of lock partitions
to reduce contention, and that seemed to be what Robert was talking
about in the quoted section.

Of course, that's not the *only* thing they did; it's just the point
which seemed to be under discussion just there.

-Kevin