Re: Basic SQL question and kudos

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Basic SQL question and kudos
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/06/2010 12:31 AM, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> I need to get a join across about 8 tables to only return rows for the MAX date in one of the tables for all
otherwiseidentical return results. I am trying to get the most recent edit of normalized records that are composed of
elementsfrom all the tables. There could be 1 to 100+ successive edits to the normalized/multi table record. The will
beapproximately 65,000 total records for now, 100,000,000s later.

> If I make one of the values in the select statement be MAX(the date), does that automatically do grouping on 'the
date'or will I only get ONE row total returned?

If I understand what you're proposing correctly, I don't think it'll work.

What you need to do is use a subquery to obtain the max of the field of
interest, and filter in your WHERE clause so you only return results
when the selected value is the maximum for that field.

It's hard to be more specific with a fairly general question like this,
but if I'm understanding you right this is how I'd start.

--
Craig Ringer

От: Josh Kupershmidt
Сообщение: Re: How do I write this query? Distinct, Group By, Order By?
От: Konstantin Izmailov
Сообщение: Re: Is there a logical reason for 25P02?