Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)

От Markus Wanner
Тема Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/05/2010 04:07 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> When you have one server functioning at each site you'll block until
> you get a third machine back, rather than replicating to both sites
> and remaining functional.

That's not a very likely failure scenario, but yes.

What if the admin wants to add a standby in Berlin, but still wants one
ack from each location? None of the current proposals make that simple
enough to not require adjustment in configuration.

Maybe defining something like: at least one from Berlin and at least one
from Tokyo (where Berlin and Tokyo could be defined by CIDR notation).
IMO that's closer to the admin's reality than a plain quorum but still
not as verbose as a full standby registration.

But maybe we should really defer that discussion...

Regards

Markus Wanner