Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL

От SAKAMOTO Masahiko
Тема Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL
Дата
Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
sorry for my slow response.

(2010/09/24 21:13), Robert Haas wrote:
> This is a good point.  On the one hand, I do agree that the API for
> simple things like processing CSV files shouldn't be overly complex.
> So perhaps we could start with a simple API and extend it later.  On
> the other hand, understanding how some of the more complex cases ought
> to work provides insight into handling the simpler cases.  So I think
> we should aim to have at least a sketch of a design for the whole
> feature, and then if in phase 1 we want to implement only the easier
> parts, that's OK.

Right. In any case, I should clearify what this API could cover
by this patch and what could not.
# And also how far I and my collaborator can implement..

As Itagaki points out, we have two types of FDW implementations in
progress: flat file wrapper and postgresql wrapper. these items are
described in wiki: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SQL/MED

But it may be hard to get what this fdw routines 'could' provide,
so I and my collaborator is now summarizing these items to discuss and
ask for help. Anyway I think these items are needed to discuss further. - API design that is used in executor for a
singleexternal table. - simple FDW implements to clearfy what this API could provide.

These items will be shown by my collaborator soon.
thanks in advance,

SAKAMOTO Masahiko
NTT Open Source Software Center
e-mail: sakamoto.masahiko@oss.ntt.co.jp