Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 09/24/2010 10:15 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 16:04, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net>  writes:
>>> I took a quick look at the code, and from what I can tell this is
>>> because PQconnectionNeedsPassword() always returns false if a
>>> pgpass.conf has been used. There is no handling the case where pgpass
>>> is used, but has an incorrect password.
>> Why should it?  That code is complicated enough, I don't think it needs
>> to have a behavior of pretending that a wrong entry isn't there.
> In that case, we should probably teach pg_ctl about this case, no?
> Since it clearly gives an incorrect message to the user now...

pg_ctl decides that the server is running iff it can connect to it. Do
you intend to provide for a different test? Setting an incorrect
password for the service account sounds like pilot error to me.

cheers

andrew