Re: Configuring synchronous replication

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
type="cite">On21/09/10 18:12, Tom Lane wrote: <br /><blockquote type="cite">Heikki Linnakangas<a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com"><heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com></a> writes: <br
/><blockquotetype="cite">On 21/09/10 11:52, Thom Brown wrote: <br /><blockquote type="cite">My fear would be
standby.confwould be edited by users who don't <br /> really know XML and then we'd have 3 different styles of config
fundamentalproblem with all those "machine editable" formats is <br /> that they aren't "people editable".  If you have
tohave a tool (other <br /> than a text editor) to change a config file, you're going to be very <br /> unhappy when
I'mnot very familiar with any of those formats, but I agree it needs to be easy to edit by hand first and foremost. <br
thisproblem, and it's something that people are used to. <br /> We could probably shoehorn the info into a pg_hba-like
format,but <br /> I'm concerned about whether we'd be pushing that format beyond what <br /> it can reasonably handle.
concernedthat even that might not be flexible enough for future features. I guess we'll cross the bridge when we get
thereand go with an ini file for now. It should be possible to extend it in various ways, and in the worst case that we
haveto change to a completely different format, we can provide a how to guide on converting existing config files to
Personally,I'm very comfortable with XML, but then I do a *lot* of work with it, and have for many years. I know I'm in
aminority on that, and some people just go bananas when they see it. Since we're just about to add a JSON parser to the
backend,by the look of it, that looks like a reasonable bet. Maybe it uses a few too many quotes, but that's not really
sohard to get your head around, even if it offends you a bit aesthetically. And it is certainly fairly widely known.<br