Re: Table Comments

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Table Comments
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/15/2010 08:53 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I saw in the documentation for PostgreSQL that I can add 'comments' to
> table entries when creating columns:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/tutorial-table.html
>
> CREATE TABLE weather (
>      city            varchar(80),
>      temp_lo         int,           -- low temperature
>      temp_hi         int,           -- high temperature
>      prcp            real,          -- precipitation
>      date            date
> );
>
> I did a search and don't understand in what aspect are the 'comments'
> relevant / visible? I don't see the comments when I attempt to list /
> describe the table with \d weather;
>
> Any suggestions?

Don't confuse "--" with "COMMENT ON".

A -- is SQL's comment "character",  like # in Bash, // in C, etc. so you
can comment the SQL statements in your code.

The "COMMENT ON" statement lets you add descriptions to database objects
(tables, individual columns, etc.). See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-comment.html for more on
the COMMENT statement.

Cheers,