Re: Walsender doesn't process options passed in the startup packet

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Walsender doesn't process options passed in the startup packet
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 13/09/10 08:10, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
>> Huh?  walsender has no business applying any per-user or per-database
>> settings.
>
> Okay. I got rid of the access to pg_db_role_setting from the patch.
> I attached the updated version, which makes walsender process the
> options passed in the startup packet, apply PostAuthDelay and initialize
> client encoding.
>
> OTOH, I can believe that some people would create a dedicated role for
> replication and configure the parameters for replication on the role.

Right, per-database settings clearly make no sense, but per-role
settings do. There isn't very many settings that make sense for
walsender, but client_encoding is one example. I agree it's not terribly
useful, but would be nice for the sake of completeness.

> What about leaving the capability to apply per-role settings as a TODO
> item?

Yeah, seems best at this point.