Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure

От Darren Duncan
Тема Re: returning multiple result sets from a stored procedure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On tor, 2010-09-09 at 13:08 -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> Since Pg's FUNCTION already seems to take on both roles, so
>> overloading the meaning of the FUNCTION keyword, like what a C
>> function or a Perl sub does, where returning VOID means procedure,
>> then what is being added by a distinct PROCEDURE?
>
> I'd just like to have the CALL statement, because
>
> CALL do_something();
>
> looks better than
>
> SELECT do_something();
>
> Small details ...

I don't have a problem with the PERFORM keyword aside from it being more verbose
than CALL, except that, with 8.4 anyway, PERFORM doesn't seem to work
client-side.  It seems that to invoke a VOID function foo client-side I still
have to say "SELECT foo(...);" because saying "PERFORM foo(...);" is
unfortunately a syntax error. -- Darren Duncan