Re: pgbench could not send data to client: Broken pipe

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: pgbench could not send data to client: Broken pipe
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> In my experience you can expect the response time benefit of
> reducing the size of your connection pool to match available
> resources to be more noticeable than the throughput improvements.
> This directly contradicts many people's intuition, revealing the
> downside of "gut feel".

This is why I focused on showing there won't actually be a significant
throughput reduction, because that part is the most counterintuitive I
think.  Accurately modeling the latency improvements of pooling requires
much harder math, and it depends quite a bit on whether incoming traffic
is even or in bursts.  Easier in many cases to just swallow expectations
and estimates and just try it instead.