Re: postgresql cluster on SAN

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: postgresql cluster on SAN
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/09/2010 11:02 AM, Lazaro Ruben Garcia Martinez wrote:
> Thank you very much for your answer, In the cluster that i said before I need only failover.
> In the documentation of postgresql I read about the Shared Disk Failover, this tecnique avoids synchronization
overheadby having only one copy of the database. It uses a single disk array that is shared by multiple servers. If the
maindatabase server fails, the standby server is able to mount and start the database as though it was recovering from
adatabase crash. This allows rapid failover with no data loss. One disadvantage is that the standby server should never
accessthe shared storage while the primary server is running.
> For these resons is posible to use a SAN?

Yes. See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Shared_Storage

Setting it up isn't trivial and if you mess it up, you *WILL* get
massive data corruption. If your shared storage dies, you still lose all
your data.

Personally, I favour replication.

Anyway, added a reference to [[Shared_Storage]] for failover-only
clustering to the faq entry posted earlier.

--
Craig Ringer

От: John R Pierce
Сообщение: Re: postgresql cluster on SAN
От: Dennis Gearon
Сообщение: line CASE statemelnt in query a la Oracle