Re: Configure default for sorting of null-values?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Configure default for sorting of null-values?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/09/2010 10:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rob Gansevles<rgansevles@gmail.com>  writes:
>> Does anyone know if this is configurable?
>> Or should I file a feature request?
>
> It is not, and a feature request is probably going to go nowhere.
> The reason configurability seems like a bad idea is that null sort
> direction is wired into things like index contents.

It'd probably have to be done at CREATE DATABASE time, like the setup of
the database encoding is.

Personally I can't say I really see the point. I suspect database
designs that rely on the sort order of NULL anyway - they usually seem
to be trying to use null as a concrete value rather than an "unset/unknown".

Even if that's not the case here, I suspect (OP) that you'd have to
produce a viable patch for this feature if you want it supported, as I
doubt there'll be enough interest for anyone else to want to implement it.

--
Craig Ringer