Re: coping with failing disks

От Joachim Worringen
Тема Re: coping with failing disks
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Am 02.09.2010 16:32, schrieb Vick Khera:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Joachim Worringen
> <joachim.worringen@iathh.de>  wrote:
>> Would the consistency of the database be affected if all indices are
>> suddenly gone?
>
> The unique constraint is implemented as a unique index. So I'd say
> "yeah, you could break your consistency".

True. But we could use a separate index space only for our own indices -
what if storage for this goes away?

> Why not purchase a robust RAM/SSD disk system designed for DB use
> rather than hacking one up on the cheap?

15k SAS drives and Intel SLC SSDs are not really on the cheap side
(especially in quantity to fill up a storage array), but we still want
to get the most of them. Things like RAMsan (Texas Memory Systems) are
currently considered overkill here. Anything else (no, not Fusion I/O)?

It's a matter of tradeoff between performance and availability.

  thanks, Joachim