Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> your i860? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_i860  wow!. :D

That's supposed to be i7-860:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

It was a whole $199, so not an expensive processor.

> Now, seriously: what memory (brand/model) does the Q6600 and your
> newer desktop have?

Q6600 is running Corsair DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

i7-860 has Corsair DDR3-1600 C8 (8-8-8-24):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145265

Both systems have 4 2GB modules in them for 8GB total.

I've been both happy with the performance of the Corsair stuff, and with
how their head spreader design keeps my grubby fingers off the sensitive
parts of the chips.  This is all desktop memory though; the registered
and ECC stuff for servers tends to be a bit slower, but for good reasons.

> I'm just too curious, last time I was able to run benchmarks myself
> was with a core2duo and a athlon 64 x2, back then: core2due beated
> athlon at almost anything.

Yes.  The point I've made a couple of times here already is that Intel
pulled ahead around the Core 2 time, and AMD has been anywhere from a
little to way behind ever since.  And in the last 18 months that's
mainly been related to the memory controller design, not the CPUs
themselves.  Until these new Magny Cours designs, where AMD finally
caught back up, particularly on big servers with lots of banks of RAM.

Сообщение: Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Сообщение: Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop