[Fwd: postgres 8.4.1 number of connections]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: postgres 8.4.1 number of connections
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:25:47 -0500
From: Maria L. Wilson <Maria.L.Wilson-1@nasa.gov>
To: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org <pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org>

we have this application (using jboss/java/hibernate) on linux accessing
data on 3 postgres database servers using 8.4.1.

One of our many concerns has been the way we handle connections to the
database.  java/hibernate handle their own pooling so I understand that
using anything else is out of the question.  Our jboss configuration
currently defaults to 5 connections per database.  On our main database
server, we handle 7 of the databases that this application uses.  On
this one server, we usually average around 300 - 500 connections to the
server.  In our postgres conf file on this particular machine we set the
max_connection parameter to 1000.  If we set it to much lower we end up
with connection errors.  Any comments or better way to handle this?

thanks,  Maria Wilson
NASA, Langley Research Center
Hampton, Virginia 23666