Re: SQLSTATE of notice PGresult

От Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Тема Re: SQLSTATE of notice PGresult
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas escreveu:
> It appears to me that it already is documented.  The very first
> sentence of the documentation reads:
>
> Returns an individual field of an error report.
>
> And a few sentences later it says:
>
> NULL is returned if the PGresult is not an error or warning result

I'm referring to [1].

> I suppose we could change the function to return 00000 always when the
> operation is not an error or warning report, rather than NULL, but
> certainly we wouldn't want to include those bytes in *every* success
> message, so they'd have to be something that the libpq inferred.  And
> I'm not clear why that behavior would be any more useful than what we
> have now; indeed, it seems like it would needlessly break backward
> compatibility.  If you're arguing that this behavior is required by
> the spec, let's have a cite.  I find it a bit surprising that the spec
> would cover the behavior of individual libpq functions in this level
> of detail.

It seems we can't infer the success message from libpq; it is necessary to
build the sql state message field. As I said both behaviors have the same goal
(in this case, NULL means success, i.e. sqlstate is not assigned) but it
doesn't match the spec.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/errcodes-appendix.html

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: SQLSTATE of notice PGresult
От: Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Сообщение: Re: SQLSTATE of notice PGresult