Re: shared_preload_libraries is ignored in single user mode

От KaiGai Kohei
Тема Re: shared_preload_libraries is ignored in single user mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(2010/08/17 9:52), Robert Haas wrote:
> 2010/8/16 KaiGai Kohei<kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>:
>> (2010/08/16 23:40), Robert Haas wrote:

>>> I have no confidence at all that this is a sane thing to do.  I think
>>> any enhanced security provider that needs system objects to be
>>> labelled should provide a script to label them after the fact.  You
>>> can't count on everyone who wants to use SE-PostgreSQL having made
>>> that decision at initdb time.  I think we want to keep single-user
>>> mode as lean and mean as possible, so that people can rely on it when
>>> they need to fix their broken database.
>>>
>> I also agree it is nonsense to make access control decision during
>> initdb phase, but it is not the reason why I want to fix this problem.
>>
>> I plan to provide a script that assigns initial security label after
>> the initdb, but before launching postmaster. This script tries to execute
>> postgres in single-user mode, then labels database objects according to
>> the system setting. But the sepgsql module is not loaded currently.
>>
>> I want to kick this job in single-user mode, not normal processing mode,
>> because we can simplify several stuffs. For example, we don't need to
>> check whether the user has privilege to assign initial labels, because
>> it is obvious people who launch initdb has superpower on whole of the
>> database. In addition, we don't need to consider a possibility that
>> someone create a new database object during initial labeling.
>
> I think this is a bad design.  Consider someone who has 10 databases
> for which he does NOT wish to use security labelling.  One day he
> decides to create database #11 and on this one he DOES want security
> labelling.  Ideally, he'd be able to do this without shutting down the
> database.  Of course, that's not going to quite work, since
> shared_preload_libraries needs to be changed, but that can be done
> with a very quick server bounce.  Requiring him to run the setup
> scripts in single-user mode is just painful; forcing him to label
> every database is even worse.

Hmm. It seems to me a reasonable scenario indeed.
In this case, the someone who wants to create #11 database with security
labels may connect on the postmaster via internet, so we need to check
his privileges to assign security label on individual database objects
without short-cut like a case when single-user mode.

Perhaps, the best one is to provide two options for users.
If he wants to label database obejcts just after initdb, he can launch
a script to label them in single-user mode; without any cumbers.
If he wants to label only objects within database #11 after several
months from initdb, he can launch a script to label them via normal
connection.

Thanks,
--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>

От: KaiGai Kohei
Сообщение: Re: security label support, part.2
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: shared_preload_libraries is ignored in single user mode