Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ma Sivakumar wrote:
> There was also a point about making the installer create a recommended
> postgresql.conf file.
>
> After installation when the server is started for the first time, try
> to start with postgresql.conf.suggested
>
> If it starts successfully, let the user know that the server is
> started with a configuration file tuned for the specific system
> resources. Also warn about the pitfalls.
>
> If it fails to start, then fall back to default postgresql.conf and
> tell the user to configure manually (using pgtune) for optimum
> performance.

You're assuming most users usually start the server by hand where they
will see such errors.  They don't.  If you've got a typical system where
the startup/shutdown of the server is being handled by the OS, people
will never see the messages you're suggesting to present to them unless
they go look at the logs.

I'm going to bow out of this thread now.  We have a quite reasonable
plan for sorting this whole situation out that has been moving forward a
little bit with each successive release.  I know everyone is just trying
to help, but all of the suggestions here have been beaten to death at
least a half dozen times on other lists.  If someone wants to work on
patches to improve the specific hurdles here, I'd be happy to suggest
some.  There's already a vast excess of ideas for what to do, what's
missing is manpower to execute on them.