Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Re: MySQL versus Postgres  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> "Can we just say in the docs say 25% of memory to shared_buffers"
> Yes, in fact we can. With the caveat of Windows, the reality is this
> isn't going to hurt nearly as much as a untuned version of PostgreSQL
> will.

With modern servers often shipping with 72GB of RAM now, that would make
shared_buffers set to 18GB.  This is an absolutely disastrous setting
for PostgreSQL in its current state; I'm seeing servers with that much
RAM that suffer enormous problems with a far lower shared_buffers than
that in production.  I'm working on a doc patch to address this better
before 9.0 goes out but I assure you this simple rule of thumb is
already nearing its end of life as a good one for big systems.