foreign keys and inheritance problem

От Edoardo Panfili
Тема foreign keys and inheritance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hi,
I am in some trouble with my tables defined using inheritance, This is a
semplified test case:

-----------------------
create table sub1( name1 text) inherits(father);
create table sub2( name2 text) inherits(father);
create table other (description text, id integer);

-- I know, the contraints is not checked in sub1 and sub2
ALTER TABLE father ADD UNIQUE(id);
ALTER TABLE other ADD FOREIGN KEY (id) REFERENCES father(id);

insert into sub1 (id,name1) VALUES(1,'row1 in sub1');
insert into sub2 (id,name2) VALUES(2,'row1 in sub2');
select * from father;
  id
----
   1
   2

------------------------

I can't insert data in "other" table:
test=# insert into other(id,description) VALUES(1,'test');
ERROR:  insert or update on table "other" violates foreign key
constraint "other_id_fkey"
DETAIL:  Key (id)=(1) is not present in table "father".

Is there a way to do this thing? Or I must remove the foreign key
constraint?

thank you
Edoardo