Re: Advice configuring ServeRAID 8k for performance

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Advice configuring ServeRAID 8k for performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 06/08/10 12:31, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> On 06/08/10 11:58, Alan Hodgson wrote:
>> On Thursday, August 05, 2010, Mark
>> Kirkwood<mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>
>> wrote:
>>> Normally I'd agree with the others and recommend RAID10 - but you say
>>> you have an OLAP workload - if it is *heavily* read biased you may get
>>> better performance with RAID5 (more effective disks to read from).
>>> Having said that, your sequential read performance right now is pretty
>>> low (151 MB/s  - should be double this), which may point to an issue
>>> with this controller. Unfortunately this *may* be important for an OLAP
>>> workload (seq scans of big tables).
>> Probably a low (default) readahead limitation. ext3 doesn't help but
>> it can
>> usually get up over 400MB/sec. Doubt it's the controller.
>>

> Yeah - good suggestion, so cranking up readahead (man blockdev) and
> retesting is recommended.

... sorry, it just occurred to wonder about the stripe or chunk size
used in the array, as making this too small can also severely hamper
sequential performance.

Cheers

Mark

Сообщение: Re: Advice configuring ServeRAID 8k for performance
Сообщение: Re: Advice configuring ServeRAID 8k for performance