Re: Synchronous replication

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Synchronous replication
Дата
Re: Synchronous replication  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 27/07/10 16:12, Joshua Tolley wrote:
> My concern is that in a quorum system, if the quorum number is less than the
> total number of replicas, there's no way to know *which* replicas composed the
> quorum for any given transaction, so we can't know which servers to fail to if
> the master dies.

In fact, it's possible for one standby to sync up to X, then disconnect
and reconnect, and have the master count it second time in the quorum.
Especially if the master doesn't notice that the standby disconnected,
e.g a network problem.

I don't think any of this quorum stuff makes much sense without
explicitly registering standbys in the master.

That would also solve the fuzziness with wal_keep_segments - if the
master knew what standbys exist, it could keep track of how far each
standby has received WAL, and keep just enough WAL for each standby to
catch up.