Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Just noticed an error I should correct.

> There's been no work done on it
> at all (as far as I can tell) since Caldera bought the SCO name and
> OpenServer product from the original Santa Cruz Operation, fired all the
> software engineers, hired some lawyers and sued world+dog.

I did overstate that bit a little. They've done some small work on
improving OpenServer since the transfer to Tarentella, including 5.0.7V,
according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_OpenServer

Note that The SCO Group (sco.com) still push 5.0.7, not 6.0, as their
primary product.

  http://sco.com/

and primarily the for-virtualization version 5.0.7V. Wonder why? Maybe
because the only people still using it are doing so to support legacy
apps in an otherwise more modern environment, doing as little as
possible on SCO.

  http://sco.com/products/openserver507v/hyperv/

For what it's worth, SCO OpenServer (5.0.5 at least) runs fine on VMWare
anyway. I wonder if they've done anything more than packaged up a VM
image of 5.0.7 with this product. They certainly don't mention anything
useful like paravirt drivers for network and disk I/O.

Anyway, let me reiterate: virtualize, then run away as fast as you can.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/