Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy
Дата
Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I run CentOS 5.x and I do not like to upgrade vendor supplied packages. My
> version of pg_dump is from postgresql-8.1.21-1.el5_5.1 - I'm assuming the
> 8.1.21 is the important part.

That's a bad policy with PostgreSQL.  I guarantee you that the problems
you will run into because you're on PostgreSQL 8.1 are far worse than
any you might encounter because you've updated from RedHat's PostgreSQL
to the RPM packages provided by the PostgreSQL packagers.  There are
hundreds of known limitations in 8.1 you will absolutely suffer from as
you expand your deployment that have been fixed in later versions.  Yes,
you can run into a packaging problem after upgrading to the PostgreSQL
provided 8.3 or 8.4 that doesn't exist with the 8.1 they ship.  But
that's a *possible* issue, compared to the *guaranteed* limitations that
are removed by using a later version of the database.

Also, take a look at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy
8.1 will be a frozen release no longer receiving bug fixes real soon now.

You've already run into the first "It seems that my version of pg_dump
does not accept..."; expect many more of those if you decide you must
stay on 8.1.