Re: Bitmask trickiness

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Bitmask trickiness
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Howard Rogers wrote:
> That's the point: you've assumed something you needn't have.

You seem to have assumed that Scott was trying to be a jerk here, when
he was just trying to help you out by suggesting a feature in PostgreSQL
you may not have been familiar with, one that makes this particular sort
of job significantly easier to do.

> Honestly, when I want general consulting, I pay for it. You really
> don't have to try and give it away for free.

If you don't want general suggestions going beyond what you might have
specifically asked about, I'm afraid you are on the wrong set of mailing
lists.  People pop up here every day asking very specific things that
suggest they are in fact going about something in completely the wrong
way.  That makes it pretty common for one's general motive to be asked
about.  Also, PostgreSQL is so large that it's easy for people to not be
aware of major pieces to it yet, so there's usually some questions to
try and feel that out too.

The attitude you should have here is "if I want to be able to tell
people exactly what they should and shouldn't say, I'll have to pay for
that".  Community PostgreSQL support is not going to shut up and assume
you know what you're doing unless you prove that with your comments.

P.S. This little "I've been doing this for X long" pissing game is going
to end making everyone look like n00bs when Tom gets back.