Re: SHOW TABLES

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 16/07/10 21:32, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 20:52 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I have nothing against SHOW TABLES
>
> ...but SHOW wins, based on numbers of people expecting that

I'm not sure I buy that, but even if it's true, it doesn't seem fair to
do a favor to one group of users, leaving the rest stranded and excluded
forever. Even if SHOW TABLES has a bigger mind-share than the others,
surely the others are not negligible either.

>> , but if we're going to cater to people migrating from MySQL, I
>> feel we should cater to people migrating from other products too. But
>> surely we're not going to implement 10 different syntaxes for the same
>> thing! We could, however, give a hint in the syntax error in all those
>> cases.
>
> That's a very sensible suggestion, we should give a hint for all common
> commands SHOW, LIST, etc., even though we pick just one to implement.

I'm suggesting that we should just add the hint for all of those and be
done with it.

>> doing people a favor by introducing them to the backslash
>> commands
>
> That's a sentence I never thought to see written down

:-). They're not that bad IMHO. \d is short, which is nice. \d and \df
are the commands I routinely use and remember, for anything more
advanced I have to resort to \h. The SHOW TABLES command wouldn't do
more than that anyway.