Re: SHOW TABLES

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Re: SHOW TABLES  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: SHOW TABLES  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I assume SHOW TABLES would only be useful for interactive terminal
> sesssions, not for application code (which should use
> information_schema), so what non-psql interactive terminal programs are
> there?

I think your assumption is questionable.

Plenty of people use MySQL's "SHOW TABLES" in non-interactive settings
(for good or ill). That's why any suggestion that we should return
anything other than a resultset seems like a really terrible idea to me.

This could presumably be implemented by creating a view to return the
required information and then making "SHOW TABLES" an alias for "select
* from viewname".

FYI, MS-SQL does this stuff with some stored procedures. I regularly use
sp_columns to fiind out what I'm really being asked to interact with.
See <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182764.aspx>

cheers

andrew