Re: SHOW TABLES

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> The downside is that you are then limited to what can be returned
> as a resultset. A "\d table" in psql returns a hell of a lot more
> than that. So do we keep two separate formats for this? Or do we
> remove the current, useful, output format in favor of a much worse
> formt just to support more clients?
The solution to this on some products (e.g., Sybase ASE) is to embed
such logic in stored procedures.  A stored procedure can generate an
intermingled stream of results sets with different layouts and INFO,
WARN, etc. lines.  If we *had* stored procedures with such
capabilities, I think that would be the direction to go; since we
don't, I'm ambivalent.
I don't suppose a stored procedure implementation is in the works
anywhere?
-Kevin