Re: Inheritance and trigger/FK propagation

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Inheritance and trigger/FK propagation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 15/07/10 16:05, Davor J. wrote:
> It seems no secret that a child table will not fire a trigger defined on
> it's parent table. Various posts comment on this. But nowhere could I find a
> reason for this.

[snip]

> I read in the change logs of 8.4: "Force child tables to inherit CHECK
> constraints from parents (Alex Hunsaker, Nikhil Sontakke, Tom)." So why not
> with triggers and FK's?

My understanding is that it's mostly an implementation limitation. In
other words, rather than any fundamental reason why it should not be
done, the issue is that nobody has gone and implemented it, tested it,
and ironed out the quirks and corner cases yet.

--
Craig Ringer