Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/07/10 21:03, Andras Fabian wrote:
> This STDOU issue gets even weirder. Now I have set up our two new servers (identical hw/sw) as I would have needed to
doso anyways. After having PG running, I also set up the same test scenario as I have it on our problematic servers,
andstarted the COPY-to-STDOUT experiment. And you know what? Both new servers are performing well. No hanging, and the
3GByte test dump was written in around 3 minutes (as expected). To make things even more complicated ... I went back to
ourproduction servers. Now, the first one - which I froze up with oprofile this morning and needed a REBOOT - is
performingwell too! It needed 3 minutes for the test case ... WTF? BUT, the second production server, which did not
havea reboot, is still behaving badly.
> Now I tried to dig deeper (without killing a production server again) ... and came to comparing the outputs of PS
(with'-fax' parameter then, '-axl'). Now I have found something interesting:
> - all fast servers show the COPY process as being in the state Rs ("runnable (on run queue)")
> - on the still slow server, this process is in 9 out of 10 samples in Ds ("uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)")
>
> Now, this "Ds" state seems to be something unhealthy - especially if it is there almost all the time - as far as my
firstreeds on google show (and although it points to IO, there is seemingly only very little IO, and IO-wait is minimal
too).I have also done "-axl" with PS, which brings the following line for our process:
> F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI    VSZ   RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
> 1  5551  2819  4201  20   0 5941068 201192 conges Ds ?          2:05 postgres: postgres musicload_cache [local] COPY"

Your wchan column isn't wide enough to show the full function name, but
I'd say it's related to some form of throttling or congestion control.

Get a wider view of that column to find out what the full function name
is. Grepping the kernel source for it can then tell you a lot about
where in the kernel it is and what might be going on.

Try:

    ps ax -O wchan:40

to get a decently wide view of that col.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 3 release announcement
От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: Testing 9.0beta3 and pg_upgrade