Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/07/10 22:08, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andras Fabian <Fabian@atrada.net> writes:
>>> Something weird about the network stack on the new machine, maybe.
>>> Have you compared the transfer speeds for Unix-socket and TCP connections?
>
>> Hmm, no ... but how do Unix-socket / TCP connections relate to STDOUT here (sorry, maybe this is obvious to some,
butnot to me at the moment)?

> Well, COPY TO STDOUT really means "send the data across the network
> connection to the client".  It sounds to me like your problem is slow
> data transfer between the database backend and pg_dump (or psql).
> Not sure what could be causing it, unless perhaps you've got a kernel
> packet filter that's performing an unreasonable amount of processing
> per packet.

... and that should be showing up as high "system" CPU time, or it seems
to on my machines with lots of tcp/ip traffic and heavy netfilter rules.
If they're using unix sockets packet filtering shouldn't come into play
anyway.

Andrais: Are you using UNIX sockets or TCP/IP to connect to PostgreSQL?
If you specify any host to connect to, even "localhost", you're using
TCP/IP. If you don't specify a host, you're using unix sockets.

Whichever you are doing, try the other one and see if performance is
different.

Idea: One notable difference between COPY to file and 'copy to stdout"
to a receiving process over the network is that the latter involves the
interaction of two processes. When a kernel change is involved and
you're seeing low performance with lots of apparent idleness, that
immediately makes me think "process scheduler".

Of course, that might be completely off-track, but I've seen weird
performance issues caused by scheduler changes before.

--
Craig Ringer