Re: performance on new linux box

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: performance on new linux box
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 07/07/2010 06:06 PM, Ryan Wexler wrote:
> Postgresql was previously running on a single cpu linux machine with 2 gigs of memory and a single sata drive (v8.3).
Basically a desktop with linux on it.  I experienced slow performance.

> So, I finally moved it to a real server.  A dually zeon centos machine with 6 gigs of memory and raid 10, postgres
8.4. But, I am now experiencing even worse performance issues.

> My system is consistently highly transactional.  However, there is also regular complex queries and occasional bulk
loads.

> On the new system the bulk loads are extremely slower than on the previous machine and so are the more complex
queries. The smaller transactional queries seem comparable but i had expected an improvement.  Performing a db import
viapsql -d databas -f dbfile illustrates this problem.  It takes 5 hours to run this import.  By contrast, if I perform
thissame exact import on my crappy windows box with only 2 gigs of memory and default postgres settings it takes 1
hour. Same deal with the old linux machine.  How is this possible?

> Here are some of my key config settings:
> max_connections = 100
> shared_buffers = 768MB
> effective_cache_size = 2560MB
> work_mem = 16MB
> maintenance_work_mem = 128MB
> checkpoint_segments = 7
> checkpoint_timeout = 7min
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.5
>
> I have tried varying the shared_buffers size from 128 all the way to 1500mbs and got basically the same result.   Is
therea setting change I should be considering?

> Does 8.4 have performance problems or is this unique to me?
>
> thanks

Yeah, I inherited a "server" (the quotes are sarcastic air quotes), with really bad disk IO... er.. really safe disk
IO. Try the dd test.  On my desktop I get 60-70 meg a second.  On this "server" (I laugh) I got about 20.  I had to go
outof my way (way out) to enable the disk caching, and even then only got 50 meg a second.

http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pg-disktesting.htm

-Andy

От: Rob Wultsch
Сообщение: Re: performance on new linux box
От: "Pierre C"
Сообщение: Re: performance on new linux box