How To Calculate Table Size Minus Deleted Rows

От Brian Helm
Тема How To Calculate Table Size Minus Deleted Rows
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I'm in the need of a way to determine the disk size of a table that
excludes dead tuples.  Here is my situation.  Our company would like to
provide a "rolling storage" solution on a per schema basis.  So
basically we set a "quota" of the amount of disk space that a schema can
occupy.  Every night a cron job is run that calculates the overage of
each schema's quota and deletes as many rows as necessary from each
table to bring the schema back within quota limits.

I was trying to use pg_total_relation_size to calculate the amount of
space consumed by each table, but I quickly learned that even after
deleting/vacuuming, the reported size of the table does not drop.  I
assume this is due to the nature of how a lazy vacuum works.  Is there a
way to get the size of the table that excludes the freed (but not
released) space from a delete/vacuum run?

--
Brian Helm