Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 30/06/10 17:11, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
>> Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  writes:
>>> My scintillating contribution to this discussion is the observation
>>> that unrestorable dumps suck.
>>
>> No doubt, but is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Magnus tells me that that was what prompted his original email.

I've done it. Luckily only with a small and fully functioning database
so I could drop the constraint and re-dump it.

Had a "recent_date" domain that was making sure new diary-style entries
had a plausible date. Of course, two years later my dump can no longer
restore the oldest record :-(

IMHO The real solution would be something that could strip/rewrite the
constraint on restore rather than trying to prevent people being stupid
though. People *will* just tag their functions as immutable to get them
to work.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd