Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> this is similar MySQL's memory tables. Personally, I don't see any
> practical sense do same work on PostgreSQL now, when memcached exists.

Thing is, if you only have one table (say, a sessions table) which you
don't want logged, you don't necessarily want to fire up a 2nd software
application just for that.  Plus, recent testing seems to show that with
no logging, memcached isn't really faster than PG.

Also, like for asynch_commit, this is something where users are
currently turning off fsync.  Any option where we can present users with
controlled, predictable data loss instead of random corruption is a good
one.

> Much more important is smarter cache controlling then we have now -
> maybe with priorities for some tables and some operations
> (applications) - sometimes we don't need use cache for extra large
> scans.

Well, that would be good *too*.  You working on it?  ;-)

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache