Re: ECPG FETCH readahead

От Böszörményi Zoltán
Тема Re: ECPG FETCH readahead
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 24/06/10 10:27, Böszörményi Zoltán wrote:
>> And this readahead is not on by default, it's only activated
>> by "ecpg -r fetch_readahead".
>
> Is there a reason not to enable it by default? I'm a bit worried that
> it will receive no testing if it's not always on.

Because in the first step I wanted to minimize the impact
on regression test stderr results. This is what I mentioned
in the initial mail, I stuck to the original wording of ecpg_log()
messages in the split-up parts of the original ECPGdo() and
ecpg_execute() exactly for this reason. The usual policy for
ecpg_log() is to report the function name where it was issued.

I was also thinking about a new feature for pg_regress,
to compare stdout results of two regression tests automatically
so a difference can be reported as an error. It would be good
for automated testing of features in ECPG that can be toggled,
like auto-prepare and fetch readahead. It might come in handy
in other subsystems, too.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi