Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t

От Tom Wilcox
Тема Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Thanks a lot Dave,

That's exactly the kind of answer I can use to justify the OS switch.
Motivation for the previous setup was based on the fact that we will use
the same machine for other projects that will use SQL Server and most of
our experience lies within the MS domain. However, these projects are
not a high priority currently and therefore I have been focusing on the
best solution for a Postgres-focused setup.

This does however mean that I will need to have the other projects
running in a VM on Linux. However, they are less demanding in terms of
resources.

Cheers,
Tom

Dave Crooke wrote:
> With that clarification, I stand squarely behind what others are
> saying ... if performance is important to you, then you should always
> run databases on dedicated hardware, with the OS running on bare metal
> with no virtualization. VirtualBox has even more I/O losses than
> Hyper-V. It's simply not designed for this, and you're giving away a
> ton of performance.
>
> If nothing else, my confusion should indicate to you how
> unconventional and poorly performing this virtualizaed setup is ... I
> simply assumed that the only plausible reason you were piggybacking on
> virtualization on Windows was a mandated lack of alternative options.
>
> Reload the hardware with an OS which PGSQL supports well, and get rid
> of the VirtualBox and Windows layers. If you have hardware that only
> Windows supports well, then you may need to make some hardware changes.
>
> I haven't said anything about which Unix-like OS .... you may find
> people arguing passionately for BSD vs. Linux .... however, the
> difference between these is negligible compared to "virtualized vs.
> real system", and at this point considerations like support base, ease
> of use and familiarity also come into play.
>
> IMHO Ubuntu would be a fine choice, and PGSQL is a "first-class"
> supported package from the distributor ... however, at customer sites,
> I've typically used Red Hat AS because they have a corporate
> preference for it, even though it is less convenient to install and
> manage.
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Tom Wilcox <hungrytom@gmail.com
> <mailto:hungrytom@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Dave,
>
>     I am definitely able to switch OS if it will get the most out of
>     Postgres. So it is definitely a case of choosing the OS on the
>     needs if the app providing it is well justified.
>
>     Currently, we are running Ubuntu Server 64-bit in a VirtualBox VM.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Tom
>

>     Dave Crooke wrote:
>
>         Tom
>
>         I always prefer to choose apps based on business needs, then
>         the OS based on the needs for the app.
>
>         Cynically, I often feel that the best answer to "we have a
>         policy that says we're only allowed to use operating system x"
>         is to ignore the policy .... the kind of people ignorant
>         enough to be that blinkered are usually not tech-savvy enough
>         to notice when it gets flouted :-)
>
>         More seriously, is the policy "Windows only on the metal" or
>         could you run e.g. VMware ESX server? I/O is the area that
>         takes the biggest hit in virtualization, and ESX server has
>         far less overhead loss than either Hyper-V (which I presume
>         you are using) or VMWare Workstation for NT (kernels).
>
>         If it's a Windows-only policy, then perhaps you can run those
>         traps in reverse, and switch to a Windows database, i.e.
>         Microsoft SQL Server.
>
>         Cheers
>         Dave

> [...]

Сообщение: Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t
Сообщение: Re: requested shared memory size overflows size_t