Re: database response slows while pg_dump is running (8.4.2)

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: database response slows while pg_dump is running (8.4.2)
Дата
Re: database response slows while pg_dump is running (8.4.2)  (Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 6/10/2010 3:25 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> PostgreSQL 8.4.2 response time slows during pg_dump of a 14 GB database.
>
> Specifically, I am monitoring how long it takes to login to our Web
> app - usually under 2 seconds, but when pg_dump is running, that
> changes to 2 - 18 seconds.
>
> Is there any way I can keep my response fast but still get my pg_dump?
>   Or should I move my pg_dump to a Slony-I slave?
>
> Best,
> -at

It depends:
    if you are cpu bound, you could try nice.
    if you are network bound then dont pg_dump across the network
    if you are io bound, pg_dump to a different drive, or pg_dump across
the network.

Isnt the slave a backup anyway?  Do you need another dump?

-Andy