Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>> From a usability point of view, if we adopt the spec's syntax we have to
>> stop allowing => for any other purpose.  Period.
>>

> What if we added a new "dual" type and limited the => operator only to that type, being, essentially, a constructor.
Thenhstore and function call param processing could be rewritten to transform those types into key/value pairs.

> So you'd call functions with:
>
>  foo( bar => 1, baz => 'this');
>
> Actually, now that I think about it, the hstore => basically does this: it constructs an hstore from its two values.
Sowhy not basically move hstore into core and just use it for function arguments?

> Crazy idea, I know, but thought I'd just throw it out there.

I'm fairly strongly inclined to go with Tom's original dictum above.
Even if it's not strictly true, doing anything else is likely to be
rather fragile, ISTM.

cheers

andrew

От: "David E. Wheeler"
Сообщение: Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature
От: Dean Rasheed
Сообщение: Out of date docs: DISABLE/ENABLE TRIGGER