Re: Allow wal_keep_segments to keep all segments

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Allow wal_keep_segments to keep all segments
Дата
Re: Allow wal_keep_segments to keep all segments  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: Allow wal_keep_segments to keep all segments  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/06/10 15:15, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I think its much easier to find out your free disk space than it is to
>> calculate how much WAL might be generated during backup. Disk space
>> doesn't vary significantly on a production database.
>>
>> If we encourage that laziness then we will get reports that replication
>> doesn't work and Postgres crashes.
>
> Well, we don't clean out the archive directory so I don't see this as
> anything new.

We leave that up to the DBA to clean out one way or another. We provide
restartpoint_command and the %r option in restore_command to help with that.

Surely we don't expect DBAs to delete old files in pg_xlog? I agree with
Simon here, I think it would be better to not provide -1 as an option
here. At least you better document well that you should only do that
temporarily or you will eventually run out of disk space.